Thursday, October 28, 2010

Summary -- Section 1

Section 1 of the Dumbest Generation went through a variety of statistics on how the Y generation isn't living up to the generation before them. It goes into detail about how the "under 30" group doesn't know the things their parents did and are losing touch with reality because of all this modern technology.



The book starts by talking about the Jaywalking portion of the Jay Leno show. This is where Jay finds random young people on the street and asks them historical and political questions they are not likely to know. In my opinion, this is a television show designed to amuse people and it wouldn't be very funny if everyone he asked knew all the questions; that would be more like taking a quiz or watching the history channel.

The book continues with detailed statistics from the National Survey of Student Engagement, American Time Use Survey, and the Survey of Public Participation in the Arts, National Endowment for the Arts showing that the Y generation are failing to engage themselves in school and academic activities. It goes on to say that these young folks are spending too much time watching tv, playing games, using the computer, and socializing.

Mark Bauerlein points out individual areas of concern for the young generation starting with History. He uses the NAEP history exam to state that 57% of high school seniors scored below basic and explaining that only 1% reached advanced. He continues on with specific examples in Civics, Math, Science, Technology, and Fine Arts.

Overall the first section of this book summarizes the Y generation as computer literate while lacking academic excellence due to the growing number of hours spent socializing, playing video games, being on the computer, texting, and using other forms of technology. Although this may be a harsh reality, there is good that can come from the growing 21st century learner.

7 comments:

  1. I think you're right about Leno. They have to keep their audience entertained. A bunch of people with right answers would be boring - unles you're watching Jeopardy of course.

    Bauerlein's comment about the abundance of material progress having hindered the intellectual progress of students is discouraging(p. 36). One would have hoped that having access to so much information would increase their knowledge. He states on p. 16 that studies show just the opposite. According to Bauerlein these studies show that youth today don't possess enough knowledge to be informed citizens and actually avoid resources that would enlighten them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first section of _The Dumbest Generation_ I was overwhelmed by the number of statistics Bauerlein shared with his readers. Presumably he is setting his readers up to feel discouraged so we will be more receptive to his ideas in the rest of the book. I'm interested to see where the content of this book goes next, though, because reading another chapter of just numbers does not interest me. The one point I strongly agreed with Bauerlein on was that it is not like individuals of this generation do not have the time to study or enjoy the arts. He writes, "It wasn't because young adults didn't have time to enjoy the arts. According tot he 2005 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance (Centers for Disease Control), 37 percent of high school student watch three or more hours of television per day. For college students the numbers may be higher" (p. 24). Although I do not challenge this statistic, I want to argue that people, no matter the age group, watch more TV these days. However, as with ever person trying to make a point, Bauerlein is ignoring the statistics that show those in the 50-75 range also watch this much TV (or more possibly), because it does not meet his agenda. My original reason for agreeing with him was to show that our society as a whole places too much emphasis on watching TV and not enough on doing the other things (reading, studying, enjoying the fine arts) that Bauerlein argues are more important. This I believe, is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, I am like the detractors that Marc Bauerlein makes mention of on pages 27-29. Like Harvard Professor, Howard Gardner, I believe that intelligence cannot be measured by a "fact-oriented, multiple choice test." (Bauerlein 27, 2008). I myself cannot name every president in order of presidency off the top of my head, nor do I have any idea what Restoration Comedy is (as he mentions on page 26). However I can locate the answer to these questions in various reference resources both print and electronic. I feel that this ability to find an answer to a question using reliable and verifiable resources is far more important in a 21st Century world, than is knowing facts off the top of your head. Indeed, the video Learning To Change-Changing To Learn makes mention that two new important 21st century literacies are: the skill to locate information and the skill to validate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in 8th grade (years ago) I had to learn all the presidents in order. Although I am not able to recite them in order any more I am able to remember the basic order of several. I do agree that being able to find answers is most important. I try to teach my students that skill so that they can always find what they need. I do think some basic knowledge is important though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what Kathy is talking about is cultural literacy. If we stick to knowing all the presidents as our example, then I agree it is not a necessary piece of memorized information to have in my brain. However, I do think we should be culturally aware of presidents who made a drastic impact or change in our country. Students should know who was president during wars and conflicts. Students should also know when those wars and conflicts were. Can they go "find" this information, yes, but our society expects us to know this information because it means being aware of our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I'm so late to the party! I love this (very strange) book. I disagree with the statement that Jay asks "historical and political questions that they are not likely to know", I happen to believe that many American teens today are disengaged from factual information and absorbed by the tech world that loves the money spent by parents to babysit and pacify their children. I do agree Bauerlein creates a bleak picture, but on page 37-when he details hours spent (school vs home) it becomes very evident that parenting and family values still form the most basic, fundamental education kids have. Educators just build upon that foundation- and let's face it, for many kids - the foundation is very shakey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that one of the "arrives" posts was mine but I'm not sure so I'm going to post another. The information is dishearting as it appears that the generation in question is not very smart. (At least they don't have many facts memorized) I have heard many teachers bemoan their lack of interest in the sometimes hard work of thinking. I think of how we as teachers have been encouraged to teach our students how to find answers since it is not possible for us to teach them all of the answers with the explosion of available information. I wonder has that idea led to this "dumbest generation"?

    ReplyDelete